One of the most attractive aspects of movies and cinema is the finesse of photograph effects used. The effects in such posters are typically designed for giving a glamorous look to the images. We are fond of such alluring effects, and it is definitely something we must learn to create as well. In this article, we shall learn how to add a cinematic effect to a photograph using Photoshop CS6. The following are the steps involved in creating the effects:
- The first step is to upload the image into Photoshop. Once this has been done, the next step is to remove the background of the image containing the primary object. For this, we use the Quick Selection Tool to select the background. Now to refine the selection we use the Refine Edge Tool. Then click on Select>Refine Edge. Then adjust the settings and click OK.
- The next step is to copy the selection by pressing Ctrl + C. Then go to the image that you want as the background and press Ctrl + V. Now, to correct the alignment the image press Ctrl + T or the Free Transform tool may also be used. To make the primary object more accentuated, go to Layer>New Adjustment Layer>Levels and adjust according to preference. Also, turn on the Clipping mask as the effects are desired to be brought upon only on the primary object.
- The next step in the process is to balance the colour of the primary object and background. We do this by using the Gradient Map. Click on Layer>New Adjustment Layer>Gradient Map. Then select the Black to white gradient. Choose black to white and press Ok.
Then change the opacity to 50 %. And now we will refill the image with colours using the Vibrance Tool. Click on Layer>New Adjustment Layer>Vibrance and change the vibrancy percentage to +65%.
- Now we add some time to the image. Click on Layer>New Adjustment Layer>Solid Colour. Now we change the colour HEX to #0a5b14 to add a shade of dark green and click OK. Then we change the blend mode To Overlay, and we set the opacity percentage to 37%.
- The final step is to add a text to the image. For this, press T or click on Text Tool from the tool panel. Then to add different styles of the text, click on Type>Panels>Character Panel and change the settings as required.
In case, you want to enlarge the text; it can be done using Free Transform Tool. Then drag the text layer to above the background layer. To make the text look fancier click on Layer>Layer Style>Drop Shadow and change the settings as shown in the image below.
This brings us to the end of this article here. You can now learn this effect by rigorous practice by following the above steps sincerely.