Photoshop has dawned upon us a great deal of amusement when it comes to editing photographs. The ease of editing photographs has lightened our straining quest of producing quality photographs according to need. In this article we shall look into how to add silky and steamy waterfall effect using Photoshop:
- The first step in the process is to upload the image into Photoshop. Once this has been done, next select the polygonal lasso tool and then select the waterfall with the help of this. This is roughly selected as the boundary of the waterfall.
- The next step involved in the duplication of our selection. This can be done by pressing Ctrl + J/Cmd + J. This creates a new layer named ‘Layer 1’ present above the background layer when the layer panel is opened.
- Now we will apply the silky look with the filter called Motion Blur. For this go to Filter>Blur>Motion Blur. The motion blur window opens, and it has two options- Angle and Distance. Set the value of angle as -78 degrees and the distance value between 50 to 120 pixels. The more the value of distance, the silkier the look will be.
- In this step, we will focus on the blurred lines in the image due to the addition of a silky effect on the image. Press F7>Add layer mask. Next, select black as the foreground color and then select the brush tool by pressing B. Now we set the value of hardness percentage to 0 and the value of size around 30 pixels. Then we apply the brush over the blurred lines, and this will fix the weirdness in the image.
- The final step involves fixing the slope of the waterfall using the Wrap tool. Go to Edit>Transform>Wrap. After the selection, a rectangular-shaped figure will appear at the center of the image. Position this rectangle suitable across the waterfall and then drag it to the right to add the slope to the waterfall. Thus we are done with the process.
This concludes the process of adding a silky and steamy waterfall effect using Photoshop. The steps used here are a little complicated, and so are certain tools used. However, the steps are specifically meant for beginners, and with practice over the due course of time, it will be easier to operate the tools conveniently.