The trend of editing photographs on Instagram is very popular in recent times. Such is the craze that almost every photograph that is uploaded on Instagram passes through many phases of editing before it is finally uploaded to Instagram. One of those editing effects is the willow effect. In this article, we shall look into the steps involved in creating the willow effect using Photoshop CS6.
- The first step is to open the image in Photoshop. Now the layer is duplicated by pressing Ctrl + J/Cmd + J.
- The next step is to create a new layer for noise. This is done by pressing Ctrl + Shift + N/Cmd +Shift + N. The newly created layer is renamed as Noise.
- To reset the foreground colour as black and the background colour as white, press D. To fill the noise layer with black colour the shortcut keys Alt + Backspace/Opt + Delete is pressed.
- The next step is to go to Filter>Noise>Add Noise. Now the amount is set to about 40% and the distribution is set as Gaussian. Next, uncheck the monochromatic option.
- Now the blending mode of the noise layer is changed to Screen, and the opacity is reduced to about 43%.
- The next step is to convert layer 1 into black and white. For doing this, go to Add adjustment layer present at the bottom of the layer panel and next click on black and white.
- The next step is to click on Create clipping mask, and the settings are adjusted as shown below in the image. The ‘create clipping mask’ icon has been encircled with red colour at the bottom of the image.
- The next step is to create a new layer present at the top of the layer panel. Now go to the tool panel and then click on Gradient tool. White is then selected as the foreground colour. Now go to the Options bar and change the mode from ‘foreground’ to ‘Transparent’ and the type is changed to radial blur. Now the mouse is dragged from the centre of the image to the extreme right.
- In this step, the blend mode of layer 2 is changed to soft light.
- In this step; we shall create a new layer to add a vignette For doing this, press Ctrl + shift + N / Cmd + shift + N. Now go to the tool panel and select the rounded rectangle tool. Now then go to the Options bar and select the type as Path and the radius is set to 100 pixels.
- The next step is to draw a rectangle covering up to 98 % of the image. The rounded rectangle has been highlighted in the image below.
- In the next step, click on Window>Path. Then click on Load path as a selection.
- Now inverse is selected by pressing Ctrl + Shift + I/Cmd + Shift + I. Now to select the marquee tool, M key is pressed and then Refine edge option is clicked on the options Now a feather of about 30 pixels is added and then press OK.
- In this final step, white is made the foreground colour. Now to fill the selected area with the foreground colour, Alt + Backspace/Opt + Delete keys are pressed. Finally, the blend mode of ‘Layer 3’ is changed to soft light, and now we are done with the processing of Instagram’s willow effect using Photoshop CS6.
Given the number of steps involved, creating Instagram’s willow effect using Photoshop CS6 is no doubt a time-consuming task. However, the method is easy in itself if practised thoroughly for a few times. This article has been tailor-made to assist beginners in their quest of understanding Photoshop and its various functions & therefore, shall act as a useful aid in understanding the use of Photoshop CS6.