Photoshop is home to a large number of different tools that can be used to our benefit of editing photographs in different styles. Starting from removing stray hairs to cutting off a specific portion of a photograph, each and every action can be done in Photoshop with absolute ease.
Brushes are an integral part of the painting. Be it in real life or in the white space of the monitor; brushes are an important tool in painting. The different types of brushes give different strokes which result in different paint effects too. So it is understandable that brushes also find widespread use in Photoshop. In this article we will learn how to install brushes in Photoshop with some simple steps:
- Before we install a brush, we first download the brush. Brushes can be downloaded online for free or for a reasonable price. After the brush has been downloaded, next locate it on your hard drive.
- The downloaded brush will be in either the .zip format or .rar format. So first extract the file to the location you want to save it at. After extraction, the file will be present in .abr format. Now, copy the file that you extracted by pressing Ctrl + C.
- In the next step, paste the copied brush file by pressing Ctrl + V in the C: drive>Program files>Adobe Photoshop CS6 (64 bit)>Presets> Brushes. The file may be renamed according to your choice. This results in the name of the brush being the name of the file you have saved as.
- The next step is to open Photoshop.
- After opening Photoshop, do the following steps systematically: First, create a new document by pressing Ctrl + N/cmd + N
- Then click on the Brush tool in the tool panel or the shortcut Shift + B may be used.
- Click on the drop-down menu(encircled in yellow)>Click on the gear icon(encircled in red).
- The next step is to locate the brush you downloaded and saved. Click on the brush to activate it. This will result in the appearance of a dialogue box with 3 options- Append, Cancel, and OK. Click on the ‘Append’ option.
- The final step is to the right click on your newly selected document and selects any brush you like. Now you are ready to paint your document in any way you want to.
That’s a whole lot of steps you will have to undertake in order to install brushes in Photoshop, and it is clearly evident from the steps that it is not too complicated for beginners at all. Lastly, the practice would make the process easier than it already is.